11/14/10

I will only say this once: Gaga Rules

I am sick and tired of hipsters thinking they are not Little Monsters. GAGA is BRILLIANT.

I mean, like, I get it on the "I didn't read and/or go see Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Twilight because they were too mainstream" level. I see your hipster inclinations and I raise you a 'I hate McDonalds too because I care about animal rights.' Don't get it twisted, I completely understand how most pop music is birthed by meticulously selling out to the low-culture real housewives of no one gives a shit in heat. But that's where I see the art in Lady Gaga: She knows that 120 bpm is the fastest way into America's IQ of 42 collective heart and so she injects a message of acceptance, tolerance and social critique that you wouldn't voluntarily ingest. Kind of like roofies.

Hipsters should be embracing Gaga. If ever there was a subculture that put a high premium on being different Lady Gaga should be your effing luminary. Has anyone ever called you pretentious? Oh that's weird....

That's why guff like this gets to me. Michel Gundry I respect you for directing music videos for Radiohead and The White Stripes, who I obsess over but idk... :
During a recent interview with Michel, he said of GaGa:

“I’m not interested. To me it’s like a form of Marilyn Manson. It’s hard for me to talk about it; I’ve seen a couple of videos of hers, and not for very long. I stop watching them each time because I don’t think there’s melodies.

First of all, is your uncle your brother because I'm pretty sure it's "I don't think there are melodies." Second of all, you're being mean. Third of all you're being pretentious. Fourth of all I bet you only shop at Thrift Stores and then brag about it and drink beer out of dumpsters like a HIPSTER! (p.s. I only did that once and in Denver in like a train yard with a bunch of traveling kids and tree punks. No seriously, true story...)

Vocally she is amazing. She plays piano. She writes her own songs. She is walking performance art. She works hard. She actually works! She actually cares about writing music. She actually cares about her fans. She can sort of dance. She's using celebrity to raise awareness about a good liberal cause that she believes in. She refuses to wear pants. I guess my retort to Michael Gundry would be, respectfully, that "No one gives a shit about anyone's music videos anymore anyways because they don't even play them on MTV 14 anymore so slow your roll."

(MTV is a topic for a whole nother day...I get on this huge soap box and also accuse them of having a mole that steals all of me and my friends' funny ideas. It's great. Again...... True. Story.)

So hard core hipster, come on out of your force field of wool flannel and CHECK THIS OUT. Here is some more acousticish Gaga. Judge her by this. Google her interview with Barbara Walters. Read her Rolling Stone interview. And then come talk to me. You don't have to like her radio hits. You don't even have to tell that kid in your indie band you listened to it. I won't say a word.

Born this way. Deal with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment