11/23/10

I don't think Hipsters like Barbies...



The jury is still out on whether or not hipsters like rap. I think hipsters like Kid Cudi. And obviously Kanye. But they both wear skinny jeans and bright neon hoodies and Cudi plays electric guitar on his new album. Soooo, I mean, if the Chuck Taylor fits...

But I love rap. I'd say I listened exclusively to gangsta rap from age 10 to 15. I'm serious. Rap in the 90's was awesome: 2Pac (Rest in Peace), Notorious (Rest in Peace), MA$E, Jay-Z, Snoop, Bone Thugs, Nas, Puffy, Busta, No Limit, Juvenille, DMX, Mos Def, Wu Tang, Dr. Dre, Eminem...... I wore a Vince Carter UNC jersey with a sports bra and baggy jeans to 6th grade catholic school dances. If you were friends with me in grade school you know you did it too...

I haven't been as excited about a rap album in awhile as I am about Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday. What's exciting about the album is that she has more in her. So it only gets better and it's already on fire. And rap music, like most, is a boy's club. So double that excitement. I haven't been this excited about a female emcee since Lil Kim was running around telling dudes to s her d. If Nicki Minaj has Lil Kim running back to the studio to prove herself you know it's good.

I'm not the sixtieth person to say that Kanye put her in his song ("Monster") and her verse beasted his by a milli.



And possibly HOVA's... said it. too late. BOOM. I haven't seen anything as creative, different and innovative as her in the rap game since Busta was running down that skinny hallway next to an elephant with feathers on his head, covered in glow-in-the-dark body paint and brushing his teeth to the beat.



Oh yes I did just take it there.






No comments:

Post a Comment